This annual award was established in 2009 by Moniack Mhor to honour Jessie Kesson’s inspirational life and work. A published writer receives time and space to develop their work, as well as opportunities to expand their practice through a month long residency in the cottage at Moniack Mhor.
The Jessie Kesson Fellowship 2018
The 2018 Fellowship is now closed for submissions.
Moniack Mhor Writers’ Centre is inviting established writers to apply for the Jessie Kesson Fellowship in 2018. This award was established in 2009 by Moniack Mhor to honour Jessie Kesson’s inspirational life and work.
The successful candidate will receive time and space to develop their work, as well as opportunities to expand their practice. This includes a stipend of £1400, plus accommodation and £200 stipend for food. The chosen writer will:
- Live on-site in the cottage at Moniack Mhor for the whole month of March 2018.
- Have the opportunity to deliver four creative writing workshops based on or inspired by Jessie Kesson’s life and work in local schools, libraries, or community centres.
- Where appropriate, take a role in hosting a public evening event in the form of a reading or lecture.
- Be asked to contribute one piece of work to Moniack Mhor at the end of the residency.
The final terms of the Fellowship will be agreed by the successful candidate and Moniack Mhor.
The fellowship is open to published writers worldwide. To be eligible for the fellowship applicants must have published at least one major work, i.e. novel, short story collection, poetry pamphlet or had a professional production of their work staged. It is also essential that applicants have experience of working with children and young people and/or community groups.
Please apply by sending:
- A CV which includes previous experience of work with children and young people and/or community groups
- An A4 covering letter that demonstrates the project you would like to develop during the residency, qualifications for the fellowship and how it would benefit you as an writer.
- A sample of your work (maximum 1000 words, or 3 poems, doubled spaced and single sided)
Deadline: 5pm Monday 6th November 2017
The deadline for application is 5pm Monday 6th November 2017. Applications should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line Jessie Kesson Fellowship Application) or by post to Moniack Mhor Writers’ Centre, Teavarran, Kiltarlity, IV4 7HT. Interviews will be held early December at Moniack Mhor Writers’ Centre or by skype.
For any enquiries relating to the fellowship please contact Rachel Humphries, Centre Director – email@example.com
To read more about the centenary celebrations we ran in 2016 click here.