Established in 2015, the Emerging Writer Award (formerly the Bridge Award) is now in its third year, and is run by Moniack Mhor in partnership with The Bridge Awards, a philanthropic venture that has helped to fund theatre and visual arts projects.
The award winner receives a tailor-made package worth up to £2,000 including tuition via open courses, retreat time and/or mentoring.
You can read about the previous winners of the award on this page.
EMERGING WRITER AWARD 2018
The Award is now CLOSED for submissions.
Eligibility and Submission Guidelines
The Emerging Writer Award is open to unpublished prose fiction writers in English and Gaelic (individuals who have yet to publish a major work, i.e. a novel or short story collection) living and working in the U.K. who have a work in progress.
Please apply by sending:
- A C.V. which details any literary achievements to date, i.e. awards, fellowships or publications, and that you meet the above criteria. Feel free to use this section to tell us a little about yourself, and please include full contact information.
- A single-sided A4 summary / synopsis of your writing project that outlines your work in progress. Please do not put your name on this document as it will be judged anonymously.
- A sample of your work:
- Maximum 1000 words, in a size and font that is clear to read.
- Double-spaced and single-sided, ideally.
- Page numbers are appreciated.
- Whilst emailed submissions are our preferred method for receiving your work, we will accept postal entries.
- Please do not put your name or other identifiable information on the sample as it will be judged anonymously.
- These guidelines are to ensure efficient processing of your application to the Emerging Writer Award.
Applications can be submitted from the 27th November with a closing date of Monday 8th January at 5pm.
Applications should be sent by email to: email@example.com or by post: Moniack Mhor Writers’ Centre, Teavarran, Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire IV4 7HT
For any enquiries relating to the Bridge Award, please contact: Mark Phimister, Centre Host and Emerging Writer Administrator, on firstname.lastname@example.org